BOATING TOPICS COVERED:
Controlling Your Boat & Trailer
At the Boat Ramp
1) Trailer Loading and Unloading
Learn how to single handedly load and unload your boat on and off your trailer.
2) Common Boat Ramp Etiquette
The Do’s and Don’t’s at the public boat ramp.
What to do when the boat ramp looks busy.
At the Dock
1) Docking 101
Learn to pull up to the dock with ease without smashing your boat or breaking cleats, etc.
Safe techniques for on boarding and off boarding passengers.
On the Water
1) Piloting Your Boat
Common best boating practices, regulations and etiquette.
Navigation fundamentals and tips every boater should know.
Maneuvering on the waterways with boat traffic.
What to do when there are big boats or big waves approaching your boat.
Boating tips and techniques including plaining, breaking and judging speeds and distances on the water.
How to achieve the safest and most comfortable ride on your boat.
How to avoid creating wakes.
2) Anchoring Your Boat
How to properly anchor your boat under various conditions.
Anchoring over reefs and in channels.
3) Night Time Boating
What you should know about safe boating at night from running lights to unseen hazards.
4) Fishing From Your Boat
Tips for safely maneuvering and positioning your boat with multiple anglers on board.
5) Know Your Equipment
Everything you should know about every accessory on your boat including safety devices, trolling motors, GPS devices, VHS radios, FishFinders and even fishing gear.
On the Road
1) Hitching and Unhitching
Proper techniques for safely hitching and unhitching your trailer.
2) Trailer Towing
Techniques for maneuvering your boat and trailer.
What you should know about driving with a boat and trailer in tow.
1) How to avoid accidents and injuries when boating.
2) Safety tips when maneuvering near other boats, swimmers, divers and wildlife.
3) Understanding channel markers and other signs on the water.
4) How to keep from swamping your boat.
5) How to determine if weather conditions are safe for boating.
6) How to handle your boat when the weather suddenly turns bad.
7) How to spot sand bars.
8) What to do if you break down.
9) Understanding safety equipment from personal floatation devices to VHF radio.
10) How to spot a problem before you're in it.
Simple maintenance tips that will help avoid break downs on the water and on the road.
Learn what you can do to keep your Boat, Motor and Trailer running reliably and smoothly.
Boat, Motor and Trailer Inspection
Captain Corey will conduct a review of your boat, motor, trailer and accessories to help identify any issues that could result in a problem on the water or on the road. In addition Captain Corey will help you develop your own checklist that you can use to help prevent problems in the future.